Saturday was Con Man’s birthday. He turned 6, although I’m not sure how, because he was just born. But whatever.

It was also an insanely busy weekend. On Saturday, we went to the Penn State football game in the afternoon and then in the evening went to a minor league baseball playoff game. {We’re all sports, all the time up in here.} And Grammy and Grampy were here for the weekend. And then Grandma and Grandpa came over on Sunday to celebrate.  So needless to say, it was crazy town. And also, I was bordering-on-deliriously tired. So I wasn’t feeling like spending a ton of time on a birthday cake.

Enter my easiest-ever, super-fun Sprinkle Cake.

Sprinkle Cake! Learn some tips and tricks for making a beautiful, festive cake -- in 10 minutes!Seriously, is that not the most festive, fabulous cake ever?!? You know how long it took me to do? 10 minutes. Total.

Boo-yah.

Want to know my secret?

I bought a pre-made, pre-frosted cake from the bakery section at the grocery store and then decorated it myself.

Sprinkle Cake! Learn some tips and tricks for making a beautiful, festive cake -- in 10 minutes!Most larger grocery stores with a bakery section will sell pre-made, pre-frosted {and sometimes pre-decorated} cakes that you can purchase and then have them write a message on. They have already done all the hard work, so why not take advantage?? For this cake, I bought a Wegmans Ultimate White Cake, which is just frosted, not decorated. If your store’s bakery only sells decorated cakes {like this one}, no big deal. Just take an offset spatula and spread the decorations flat onto the cake. For the sides, hold the spatula perpendicular to the cake plate and pull it along the sides, again spreading the decorations flat along the cake.

Now, it’s going to look like a hot mess. But don’t worry, that’s why you’re slapping on those sprinkles.

Another tip: the bulk foods section of Wegmans sells sprinkles by the pound. {Who knew?!?} They are WAY cheaper than buying a small container — in the baking aisle, a 2.5 oz jar of sprinkles was $2.29, whereas I spent $2.99 for 16 oz in the bulk section. Seriously. So check your store’s bulk section if it has one.

To cover your cake with sprinkles, make sure you cover your workspace, because this is not a tidy task. I would recommend using a baking sheet or something with sides, because these suckers like to roll.

All you have to do is take a handful of sprinkles and press them gently into the sides of the cake. It helps if you tilt the cake slightly {most bakery cakes come on a cardboard cake round, so lift one side of that up} so that the side that you are putting sprinkles on is angled down, and just press the sprinkles in. Continue going around the cake until the sides are completely covered, and then cover the top of the cake, again pressing the sprinkles into the frosting.

sprinklecake2

And you’re done! An awesome, festive sprinkle cake that took practically no time at all.

What is your favorite trick for last-minute special occasion cakes?

{As always, click here to see where I link up.}

Were you inspired?? Click here to sign up to receive Endlessly Inspired by email, and never miss another post!

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: β€œGuides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Check out these posts too!

95 thoughts on “Sprinkle Cake

1. Dawn

Thank you! We have a birthday coming up for our little one who is too little to know what is on the cake and I LOVE the fun colors…you just saved me time and money πŸ™‚

2. Michele

Okay…this has got to be the best idea EVER!! So cute and fun for any age! I could even see one of these topped with flowers for the older children inside all of us (; Great idea!

3. Julie

This caught my eye tonight Jenn…LOVE sprinkles. It’s such a simple cake, but so pretty and fun. I am not only going to pin, but share this baby on my FB page in a couple minutes. Thanks so much for linking up to Inspiration Monday! ~ Julie (redheadcandecorate.com)

4. Pingback: Blogelina’s Commentathon – Group #5 | Blogelina

5. Dee

What a cool idea! I’ve done it with cupcakes but never thought about it with cakes. (I no longer decorate cakes bigger than brides’s/groom’s cakes and part of it is because of the time involved.) This is too cute!

6. Dianna

Oh I love your writing style! I am totally subbing on bloglovin’! And that cake is fabulous. But I just know that Con Man was totally bouncing off the walls for a few hours with all that sugar! XoXo

7. Robin

I bet you’re still cleaning up sprinkles, those little booger’s get everywhere. One of the things that I’ve done is decorated a cake with chewy Lifesavers, it looked cute and they make great candle holders.

8. Gena

I’ve never thought of doing that before. How adorable! I’m pinning it for sure. And thanks for the tip about buying sprinkles in bulk. πŸ™‚
    –Gena

9. Pingback: northstory notes - Sept 13, 3103 : northstory

10. Krissa

I love it! That’s my kind of cake decorating…any time I’ve even tried to write something simple on a cake it’s turned out looking horrible. I’ll have to steal this idea the next time I make a cake!

11. Christina at SWEET HAUTE

This is an excellent post! I would like to invite you to SHARE this cool post at my link up party going on right now if you haven’t already, hope you stop by every week! I really appreciate your support and encouragement . Party on!!!!!!

Be Sweet~
    Christina at
    SWEET HAUTE

12. kim

First and foremost, I love that you love Big 10 football. I’m totally following your blog now, just because of that.

Second, this is an incredible idea. I am going to add this to my pinterest board!!!

13. Val Frania

Easy is good. It’s a very good idea to check out your local grocery stores and find out their perks like when do they clearance meat, where to find the sale or out of date items, etc. DIY is usually cheaper and the personal touch is definitely better – good job!

14. Laura @ The Turquoise Home

I know it’s weird that I’m 32 and sprinkles are my favorite ice cream topping, and cake topping and really whatever topping. And not chocolate sprinkles, but rainbow sprinkles. πŸ™‚ So, I LOVE this cake. Pinning!

I’d love for you to link up to my link party on Wednesday mornings at 8 CST: Work It Wednesday.

Thanks for sharing!! xo, Laura

15. Pingback: Weekend Wandering | What I Loved This Week | Living Well Spending Less

16. Pingback: scream and SHOUT and let it all OUT - A girl and a glue gun

17. Pam

Happy Belated Birthday to your little one! This cake is very festive and I love the way it looks. We don’t have a Wegmans in our area but I have heard how great they are.
    I am not very creative but I will remember this idea and use it for our next birthday.

18. Pam

What a great tip- buy the cake at the store! Love that- I’m not a baker so I can just imagine what my cake would look like, lol. I can do this though- how much fun!

19. SeasonedSistah2

What a wonderful idea. My granddaughter will be five years old in November, she would love this cake. She has mastered adding sprinkles to the cupcakes we make together. I know her face will light up when she sees a sprinkle cake. Thank you for sharing.

20. Rachelle S.

What a great idea! I used to make & decorate cakes for my kids birthdays and have gotten very lazy with it the last few years. I need to get back into doing that, but this is such a simple, fun alternative. Thanks for sharing!

21. Grandma Loy

What a quick and clever idea. I’ll bet kids love a cake like this. Although I like to make cakes from scratch, I do not like to make layer cakes. Go figure. I have never seen sprinkles in bulk, but I will have to look for them. There are probably a few other cake decoration things that you could do this with also. Thanks for sharing.

22. Abby McDonald

I love the simplicity of this. It looks really great too. I’m going to have to give this one a try because I’m always worried if I make my own cake it’s not going to look right, but this I think I could handle. Thanks for sharing!

23. Pingback: The Fun In Functional! {Link Party #64} | Practically Functional

24. Krista Low

What a fun cake! And although I would be tempted to call that cheating you can’t with such a fabulous result like that! I love it. So fun and colorful and bright. I know it would be a hit at my house πŸ™‚ Just pinned it!

25. Lati

another way to do this cake is buy the sponge cake, and cream, whip the cream, and add the sprinkles after you have put the cream on and in the cake… i did this for my sons birthday about 18 years ago lol….

26. Pingback: Top Posts of 2013 | Endlessly Inspired

27. Pingback: Sprinkle Birthday Party {Details}

28. Pingback: Eat. Create. Party! #11 - I Want Crazy

29. Pingback: Birthday Celebrations: Sprinkle Birthday Cake - The Love Nerds

30. Pingback: 15+ Festive Birthday Ideas - The Love Nerds

31. Pingback: Tiny Prints-Inspired Graduation Party | Endlessly Inspired

32. Pingback: 20 easy-to-decorate birthday cakes (that even I can't mess up) - It's Always Autumn

33. Pingback: First Blogiversary $550 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway!! | Endlessly InspiredEndlessly Inspired

34. Pingback: Cake Topper: idee per decorare le torte di compleanno | Feste e compleanni

35. Pingback: Reese's Pieces Anti-Gravity Cake | Endlessly InspiredEndlessly Inspired

36. domain

Admiring the commitment you put into your website and in depth information you
    present. It’s awesome to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same out of date rehashed
    material. Great read! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m including your RSS feeds to my Google account.
    domain recently posted…domainMy Profile

37. Pingback: 21+ Incredible Cake Recipes and Decorating Ideas!

38. Pingback: Easy Monster Truck Birthday Cake | Endlessly InspiredEndlessly Inspired

39. Pingback: Easy, Creative Ways To Decorate A Cake | WORLD Warotter

40. Pingback: Buzz virale nova auf Deutsch

41. Pingback: 28 simples formas de convertir un pastel en una obra de arte | Secreto Cotidiano

42. Pingback: 28 simples formas de convertir un pastel en una obra de arte – Radio Chapelco

43. Pingback: DIY Birthday Cakes For Little Girls - 12thBlog

44. Pingback: Great DIY Birthday Cakes For Little Girls

45. Denise Michaels

Love the buy the cake cheat. Why I ne never thought of this before cracks me up.as I like to give my own flair to things great idea thanks for all of the directions ty denise.????

46. Pingback: Sprinkle Birthday Party {Details} | The Turquoise Home

47. Pingback: 25+ Insanely Creative Ways To Decorate A Cake That Are Easy AF | Home Design