I love boots. I get so excited when it gets cold enough in the fall to finally bust them out.

A couple of years ago I discovered boot socks. {Am I like way behind the times on this? Is this one of those things where I’m like, “Whoa! Check out this brand-new invention!” And people are like, “Um, my Grandma got one of those for her 1st birthday.” And I’m like, “Oh. Right. Nevermind. Just kidding.”?}

Anyway.

Boot socks. They’re awesome and I love them, too. But they can be kind of expensive.

Grace and Lace {Etsy}, $34

So I figured out a way to make them myself. In about one minute.

Learn how to make your own boot socks in about one minute. Easiest tutorial ever!

All you need is an old sweater. I got this one from Goodwill, but you can always use a sweater you have lying around at home. The only thing you need to check is that the sleeves {particularly the cuffs} are stretchy enough to fit around your calf and/or knee. {You don’t necessarily NEED the photo bomb, but those tiny toes make anything better.}

Cut one of the sleeves off.

Lay the one you just cut on top of the other arm and use that as a guide to make sure you’re cutting them the same length.

Slide them on.

Put on your boots, and you’re done!

A couple of notes: I have made several pairs of these now, and have never had an issue with the cut end fraying {even after going through the washer and the dryer}. However, if you are concerned about this, you could serge or zig-zag stitch the edges.

Also, while they look awesome with boots, as you can clearly see in the above picture, they aren’t all that styling just over jeans. Keep this in mind if you are ever wearing them while on your way to Vegas, with your favorite boots and black leggings and a long sweater and a scarf and thinking you’re looking super cute and sporty and adorable and celebrity-on-a-plane like, until you get in line for security and realize that you’re going to have to take your boots off and everyone’s going to see your hacked-off-sweater-arm boot socks over your leggings. Not that anything like this has ever happened to me.

Were you inspired?? Click here to sign up to receive Endlessly Inspired by email, and never miss another post!

Click here to see where I link up and party!

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Check out these posts too!

28 thoughts on “One-Minute DIY Boot Socks Tutorial

1. JaneEllen

I love your boot socks. Think I’d wear the whole sleeve. When I’m in my work room/pc room it’s cold in winter. They’d feel really good on my little old legs, especially if they went over my old knees. The sweater you used (or showed) looked like a pretty nice sweater still. I’ll be looking at thrift store for sure now. I have a sweater just like one you used (or showed) but not ready to use it for socks yet, need it in western CO in winter.
    Loved your post. Like boot socks with the lace on top also, really cute.

2. Cynthia L

These are so cute – I will have to pass the idea on to my daughter. She just loves to wear boots on the weekends.

I would love it if you would stop by the In and Out of the Kitchen Link party and share this and any of your other great posts. See you there! http://bit.ly/1buJrAI
    Cynthia at Feeding Big

3. Julia@Happy House and Home

Hey! I do this too! I use my own sweaters – and honestly, they keep you much warmer if you live in a cold area… I was dying laughing at “someone’s” airport experience – it’s not actually that bad of a warning! Totally will keep that in mind! :) Julia

4. Pingback: Fall Mantel | Endlessly Inspired

5. Pingback: Give Me the Goods {No. 30} Features

6. helen

Fantastic post! And thanks for the heads up about airport security. I’m in the process of picking out my trendy yet stylish travelling outfit thinking “yeah those sweater boot socks would look so awesome!” Never even thought about having to take my boots off. Lol! Oh well. I’ll have to remember the suggestion about taking the socks off with the boots.

7. Erin

Awesome idea – I would have thought that they would have frayed in the wash, so thank you for mentioning that! I have meant to knit a pair but have never gotten around to it. This is so much easier and looks just as good.

8. Karen Himelfarb

Did you see the lace boot socks on Shark Tank this week? Theirs are $35, while your are a lot less – and so charming. I think your idea is avante garde because Target doesn’t have them yet. Look for sweater sleeves for legs next Fall. ~ Karen

1. Jenn Post author

Hi Karen, I did!! And I was so excited, because it was Grace and Lace — it’s their site I linked to in the second picture in this post!! :) I could not believe their Etsy sales. Jealous. :)

9. Kelly

After I saw this posted on pinterest, I went to our local thrift shop and bought a bag full (13 gal bag full) of sweaters. I’m going to give these as Christmas gifts to my coworkers & friends. By the way, the thrift store was having a sale so I got tons of sweaters for 9.99! Thanks for the idea.

10. Pingback: 10 Easy Clothing DIYs To Do While You're Snowed In (Or Just Bored)

11. Pingback: One-Minute DIY Boot Socks Tutorial | Felting | CraftGossip.com

12. http://www.socialtakeoff.co.uk

Hello, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
    wondering if you get a lot of spam responses? If so how do you
    prevent it, any plugin or anything you can recommend?

I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy
    so any support is very much appreciated.

13. More about the author

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.

When I look at your blog site in Ie, it looks fine but when opening in
    Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.

I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, fantastic blog!
    More about the author recently posted…More about the authorMy Profile

14. Pingback: First Blogiversary $550 Amazon Gift Card Giveaway!! | Endlessly InspiredEndlessly Inspired