Hi, everyone! I’m Susan from Love from the Kitchen where I share my passion for cooking easy and tasty homemade food with fresh ingredients with you. I am thrilled to be part of Endlessly Inspired’s 31 Days of Halloween series!
Today I am sharing Fluffy Pumpkin Biscuit Stars. These are easy to make and ridiculously delicious. They are great with everything from a bowl of spicy chili to grilled chicken… or even paired with warm caramel apple slices and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
I just love how fluffy and light these biscuits are. Want to know my secret? Follow these three rules:
- Don’t over-mix or over-handle the dough
- Chill the dough before you cut it.
- Add layers by folding the dough, re-rolling, folding and re-rolling.
- 2 c sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 TBSP chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 c fat-free buttermilk
- 3/4 c canned pumpkin
- 3 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP brown sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
- 2. Combine flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or pulse in a food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 minutes.
- 3. Combine buttermilk and maple syrup, stirring with a whisk until well blended; add canned pumpkin. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moist.
- 4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 times. Press dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9" x 5" rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds (as if folding a piece of paper to fit into an envelope). Again press dough into a (1/2-inch-thick) 9" x 5" rectangle; dust top of dough with flour. Fold dough crosswise into thirds; gently roll press to a 3/4-inch thickness.
- 5. Cut dough with a star cookie cutter to form 14 dough stars. Place dough stars, 1 inch apart, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle each star with a bit of brown sugar.
- 6. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool 2 minutes on wire racks. Serve warm.