How to Bell Train Your Dog to Go Outside

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NudgeThemBack #CollectiveBias

I’ve talked about our dog Fletcher before {like here and here}, so you probably already know a little bit about him. In case you don’t, he’s a 7-month-old chocolate lab, and he’s a keeper.

Use Nudges dog treats from @Walmart to teach your dog how to ring a bell to let you know when he has to go outside! #NudgeThemBack #ad

I mean, seriously. Look at that face.

As sweet and loving as he is, training a puppy is no joke. Everyone says that it’s like having a newborn in the house, but it is WAY harder than that. It’s like having a super-destructive toddler who wants to eat everything in sight, doesn’t listen at all, sprints away from you at the most dangerous possible moment, gets into the knife drawer as soon as you turn your back, and has learned to take his diaper off and will only pee and poop on the floor.

Now, I am certainly no expert on dog behavior or raising a puppy, but I will gladly talk about what worked for us during the puppy stages. And one of the best decisions we ever made was to teach Fletcher to ring a bell when he has to go outside. Even better, it was probably the easiest thing we’ve taught him, too!

The way our house is laid out, we can’t see our front door from most of the areas on the first floor, including from the family room, which is where we spend most of our time. This wasn’t an issue when we first started housebreaking Fletcher, because we kept him gated in the kitchen and living room with us. But once he was completely housebroken and we started letting him go anywhere on the first floor, we started noticing that he would sometimes have accidents right at the front door, because the poor little guy would be patiently sitting by the front door waiting for us to take him out, but we didn’t know because we couldn’t see him.

So when he was about 4 months old, I decided to bell train him. All you need to bell train your dog is a bell, some good-quality dog treats, and quite a bit of patience.

I got a large jingle bell around Christmas at Joann Fabrics; you should be able to find a similar one at a craft store or online. I just hung it from the doorknob on the front door, the door where we take him in and out.

For the dog treats, I use Nudges Grillers and Sizzlers, which I found at Walmart. We’re trying to eat healthier in our house, and it’s important to me that Fletcher eats well too, especially during any kind of training. Training involves pretty much a constant stream of treats, so you want to use ones that are easy on the dog’s tummy, but that they will do anything to get.I’m pretty sure Fletcher would sell our entire family in order to get his Nudges.

I got the Chicken and Steak Grillers, as well as the Beef & Cheese Sizzlers. I love them because they’re relatively big, so they’re great for random treats, but they’re also soft, so they’re easy to break into smaller pieces for training.

Plus, they’re made with real meat, they have no artificial flavors or fillers and they’re made in the USA with only USA-sourced protein. {Also, unlike most dog treats, these actually smell amazing. David and I have actually been tempted to taste them, they look and smell so good, but we haven’t been able to bring ourselves to do it.}

When you start the bell training, you need to keep a few things in mind. To begin with, as soon as you hang that bell, you need to take the dog out whenever he rings it. Even if you know he’s just playing with it or just went out 30 seconds ago, he needs to learn that the bell means it’s time to go outside and go potty. That’s it. {This would be where the patience part kicks in.} Fletcher caught onto that pretty quickly, although he still occasionally uses it for attention or when I go upstairs or {heaven forbid} into the bathroom and leave him alone. So it’s probably a good idea to wait for a nice day, and not a frigid week in the dead of winter, like we did.

Second, he needs to ring the bell every single time he goes outside. For the first few times, you’ll need to help him ring it, either with his nose or with his paw. We taught Fletcher to hit it with his nose by gently moving his head to the bell. The second the bell makes a sound, praise him like crazy, and out he goes. If he pees or poops within 2 or 3 minutes, then again praise him like he just cured polio and give him a couple small pieces of Nudges. If he doesn’t go, bring him back inside and wait to repeat the whole process the next time he rings the bell.

It’s important to remember to only give him the treat when he goes potty, not when he rings the bell, because otherwise, you’ll be listening to a constant stream of jingle bells, and it will likely drive you insane.

I could not believe how quickly Fletcher caught onto the bell. Within about 8-12 hours of introducing it for the first time, he walked up to the front door, rang the bell and sat down. When I took him out, he immediately peed, and I just about threw him a ticker-tape parade. Even now, a few months later, I still get so proud when he rings the bell to go out.

Check out all the flavors of Nudges dog treats and let me know which one you think your dog would love the most! For more about Nudges, check out their website and visit them on Facebook!

Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: β€œGuides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

CraftCrave | DigiFree | CraftCrave
    May 4, 2015 at 10:32 pm

[…] How to Bell Train Your Dog to Go Outside – 1 freebie(s)? […]

Stephanie
    October 17, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Our German Shepherd puppy caught on quick too, and she does the same thing… ring it for attention when she is feeling ignored. We trained her by hitting the bell with her paw every time we took her out the first day. We had a lot of luck with the bell. She had maybe 2 accidents the first 24 hours, but hasn’t had one since. Our older dog usually just waits for the puppy to ring the bell to go potty, and he was never trained to use it (I got lucky and he only had 1 accident in the house ever with absolutely zero training, and I rescued him at 5 weeks old) but he did use the bell once. I think he was just seeing if he could get our attention with it too.

What do you do if he keeps ringing it but he doesn’t actually have to potty?
    Stephanie recently posted…Rough Day for The DogsMy Profile

Meg
    December 4, 2015 at 2:26 pm

We have 2 pound puppies and as perfect as our little chihuahua is, she has been a booger to train. Thanks for the tip, fingers crossed!!

Katie
    February 16, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I have an almost 5 year old mini (tweenie) dachshund and a brand new, just got her a day ago, 10 week old mini dachshund. I like the idea of this bell training, however, my husband and I are gone from 7 in the morning until almost 6 o’clock at night. If she rings the bell and we aren’t home then this wouldn’t work for us. Maybe i’m wrong. Any suggestions??

Joyce
      August 15, 2016 at 8:38 am

This is meant for when you are home. I have used this system with my last pup and about to with our new pup. It is a complete floor save. We aren’t always in the area of the door, and who is? I highly recommend trying it. No matter what training system you put in place for your pup wouldn’t be useful if you are not at home. If your pet is not able to wait for that long of a period of time you will need to find a system that works for you to keep accidents contained to an area you choose. You could purchase a crate larger than what your pet needs and leave an area at the rear of the crate designated for the pup to relieve on that is covered with newspaper or wee wee pads. You could also gate your pet in a room with a floor that can be protected as well with newspaper or wee wee pads until they understand that this is where you want them to go rather than your gorgeous New carpet or hardwood floor that could be ruined. There are also circular gate systems that you can purchase to keep them in an area larger than a crate if you have a space that is difficult to put a gate in.

10 More Amazing Dog Toys & Chews | Endlessly InspiredEndlessly Inspired
    April 19, 2016 at 3:51 pm

[…] How to Bell Train Your Dog to Go Outside […]

[LINK] How to Bell Train Your Dog to Go Outside | Kaja Labrador Retriver
    July 7, 2016 at 7:54 am

[…] How to Bell Train Your Dog to Go Outside […]

Danielle
    August 6, 2016 at 6:12 pm

Great post! Will definitely be trying this with my lab puppy – just introduced him to Nudges.

Pumpkin-Banana Dog Treats | Endlessly InspiredEndlessly Inspired
    September 1, 2016 at 4:52 pm

[…] Easy T-Shirt Refashions End-of-Year Teacher Gifts How to Bell Train Your Dog Dinosaur Handle Cups How to Make T-Shirt Yarn Sponge Water Bombs Strawberry Cheesecake […]

Barbara
    September 1, 2016 at 6:14 pm

We have a HUGE bell hanging from the door; I am adopting a four year old terrier mix who will soon be having knee surgery. Although our apt. is a studio and we’re always home, it doesn’t mean we’re not involved in our own thing. If she rang this bell, the town would go on alert. I’ll look for something a little less magnificent or she might pee herself from terror.

Jenn
      September 1, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Hahaha!! Now that the stores are starting to put out Christmas stuff {don’t even get me started…} you should be able to find something slightly less terrifying. πŸ˜‰
      Jenn recently posted…Pumpkin-Banana Dog TreatsMy Profile

Nikki
    September 23, 2016 at 6:00 am

I’m about to adopt a puppy, and he’ll be a mostly inside dog. We’ll definitely be working on training him with a bell! Thanks for the tips.

Michelle
    September 23, 2016 at 8:11 pm

At what age can you try this. My 10 week old goldendoodle is afraid of the bell…any suggestions?

shelby
      November 30, 2016 at 11:11 am

maybe you should try a smaller bell?